Looking for at-home ideas to keep kids busy, happy, and learning? We've curated family-friendly themed activities around the theme of animals to help! Here is a sample schedule to help you brainstorm ideas that will work best for your family:
This week, find your family fun with the ANIMAL KINGDOM.
Ingredients: pancake mix, strawberries, chocolate sauce
1. Mix pancakes according to their directions.
2. Cook two different sized pancakes (6 inch and 3 inch).
3. Stack your pancakes and then decorate with sliced strawberries and chocolate sauce.
- Never Smile at a Monkey! by Steve Jenkins
- The Lion Inside by Rachel Bright
- Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae
- Animal Strike at the Zoo, It's True! by Karma Wilson
- One Night in the Zoo by Judith Kerr
Supplies needed: white cake mix, dark chocolate cake mix, frosting
1. Make each cake batter according to their directions.
2. Scoop alternating flavors onto each other in the center of your baking pan.
3. Bake according to the box directions.
4. Allow to cool and then frost with your favorite topping.
Stuffed Animal Zoo
Supplies needed: Bookshelf, elastic or cording
Tidy up your stuffed animal collection by creating your own bookshelf zoo. Make your own wooden box or find an empty bookshelf to get started. Attach elastic vertically to create bars to hold the stuffed animals inside.
Supplies needed: animal figurines, paper, drawing supplies
Pick a sunny spot and arrange your animal figurines so that they cast a shadow across your paper. Trace the shadows to create a masterpiece.
Want to show us your celebration of the animal kingdom? We'd love to see your photos! Be sure to tag Macaroni Kid on social media so we can see how you've brought the joy of the animal kingdom into your child's world.
Sarah Hauge is the publisher of Macaroni Kid Englewood-Greenwood Village-Centennial, Colo.